Before you commit to a year of VISTA service in Duluth, Minnesota, you may be wondering what service in Duluth looks like. Our VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members work for a year at a local organization in Northeastern Minnesota to advance anti-poverty solutions and build the capacity of the organizations and the communities they serve. Depending on your skills and interests, your work could focus on climate resiliency, food sovereignty, social justice, economic inequality, affordable housing, and so much more!
If this all sounds a little abstract to you, you might be wondering, what are the concrete reasons to join the Ecolibrium3 VISTA program. And so without further ado, we present to you the top 10 reasons to be a VISTA with Ecolibrium3 in Duluth.
- Join a group of service-oriented individuals who are committed to leveraging their unique skills and experiences to address challenging issues at a community level.
- Gain access to professional development opportunities, including trainings, workshops, and a $150 stipend for individual professional development throughout your VISTA service, a perfect opportunity for recent college graduates, professionals transitioning to a new field, or anyone looking to continually improve in their careers.
- Network with and learn from a number of nonprofit professionals and organizations working to make Duluth a more sustainable and equitable place for all, a valuable experience for those looking to stay in Duluth or build upon the experience in their next step!
- Be a part of a supportive and inclusive cohort that encourages both professional collaboration between cohort members in group projects and social cohesion through events ranging from hikes and outdoor activities to virtual trivia nights!
- Delight in the numerous entertainment opportunities in Duluth, from museums, aquariums, and art galleries to live music, boutique shopping, and many local restaurants and breweries, including the Lincoln Park Craft District!
- Appreciate unparalleled views of Lake Superior from right along the water on the beaches of Park Point to beautiful views overlooking the largest and greatest of the great lakes from Skyline drive.
- Enjoy the hustle of the city and the quiet and peace of a small town with the balance of a mid-sized city like Duluth, with it’s population of 85,000 people.
- Discover the plentiful opportunities to explore the great outdoors with 11,000 acres of green space, including 129 parks, 12 miles of paved, accessible trails, 85 miles of bike-optimized, multi-use trails, and 150 miles of unpaved hiking trails!
- Enjoy the post-service benefits of an education award or stipend upon successful completion of service. The education award which is worth approximately $6,195 can be applied to eligible loans or future studies. The end of service stipend is approximately $1,800.
- Secure advantages for finding the next step after service including connections to a network of AmeriCorps alumni (over 1 million alumni, employers, educational institutions, etc.), and non-competitive eligibility for federal jobs for up to a year after service.
With so many reasons to be an AmeriCorps VISTA member with Ecolibrium3 in Duluth, why not apply to join us today? Learn more about the available positions here!