Buying from independent, locally owned businesses, rather than a nationally owned business, positively impacts you and your community. Buying locally reduces food miles significantly. Food miles essentially refers to the distance that the food you buy has traveled from the producer so that it is available in the shop in which you are buying it. By buying local, you not only avoid the processing, packaging, heating, and refrigeration that transporting food long distances entails – all of which consume energy – you also support small, local businesses.
BENEFITS OF BUYING LOCAL:
- Reduction of carbon emissions and air pollution
- Energy, gasoline and fossil fuel usage is reduced
- Decrease typical packaging waste, such as paper and plastic waste.
- Create more local ownership and good jobs
- Invest in community
- Better customer service
- Encourage local prosperity
Did you take this action? Report it!
Help us show our collective community impact by reporting that you took this action.